Thursday, September 8, 2011

Catch Up

It's been awhile since I lost blogged and I figured it was time to play "catch up." Here it goes...

1. Gavin has mastered stair climbing but assumes the only way to get back down is with a head-first dive.

2. The brushing technique seems to be working and Gavin is starting to eat again!

3. I'm continuing to work with my therapist on my "issues." Although I'm still relatively new to therapy, it is already proven incredibly helpful and insightful.

4. Thrown up chunky milk is disgusting and smells horrid, especially when it lands (and dries) in the shaggy carpet.

5. I've invested in a carpet cleaner (see #4 for further explanation).

6. Gavin was seen by the Plastic Surgery team at Lucile Packard for his two month follow up. They are pleased with the healing and state that the graft was 80% successful. Because he still has an obvious indentation in his nose, another surgery is required. We are hoping to postpone surgery #2 for 1-2 years but that will be decided at our next appointment in 6 months.

7. We've been having a lot of issues with our old health insurance company and the claims related to Gavin's surgery. They initially pre-approved his surgery only to deny the $50,000 claim once it was submitted by the hospital. Lucile Packard is helping us resolve the issue in hopes that the insurance company will pay but it will take awhile before we have a definitive answer. In the mean time, the old health insurance company managed to catch wind of the reasons behind Gavin's surgery and sent me some interesting paperwork to complete detailing the specifics behind the injury. Needless to say, we're perplexed but we are exploring all of our options - whatever those may be.

8. Gavin learned to dance and we spend a lot of time listening to the Toddler station on Pandora. Although Gavin enjoys the kiddie tunes, I think Rocky and I get a kick out of it more than Gavin does.

9. The NICU reunion is next weekend and I am super excited to see the nurses, doctors, RTs, and other families. Gavin has come a long way since his stay at MSJ and I can't wait to show him off!

10. We spent Labor Day weekend in Oregon with my family. We had a great time and Gavin enjoyed spending time with his nana and nano-pa. On Saturday, my mom watched Gavin while Rocky, my dad, and I took a trip to the coast. We visited my parent's river front property, ate delicious seafood, and stopped by the Prehistoric Gardens to take a walk amongst the dinosaurs. All in all, it was a wonderful weekend!

I hope everyone is enjoying the last few dog days of summer. Personally, I can't wait for fall and cooler weather!

1 comment:

  1. 2 and 3: Hooray!

    9: Bring your tissue! Our NICU hosts an annual pumpkin patch. The first and third times caught me off guard. The first was just to be back there and see Mad's next door neighbor (they left on the same day, but the baby was five weeks older than Mad). The third was because we saw Molly, *the* nurse we associate with all good things NICU, and we saw both neonatalogists. To be able to say thank you, again... whew!

    ReplyDelete